Spearmint Essential oil (Mentha spicata) is the oil of the day.
I pretty much love anything in the mint family and have since I was little. I always gravitated towards mint flavored candy, ice cream, and gum as a kid- and still do. Now as an adult I collect different kinds of mint and grow them on my front porch. I’ve got chocolate mint, orange mint, and apple mint right along side traditional peppermint and spearmint. I also love cooking with it, I add mint leaves to ice teas and salads and I use Peppermint Essential oil for my peppermint mochas.
Spearmint shares a lot of qualities with Peppermint but is more mild. Peppermint tends to have an in your face affect while Spearmint has a earthy quality that mellows the menthol out. I tend to use Spearmint in the diffuser more than my peppermint oil and I love adding it to massage oil for when my muscles are tired and I need a little pick me up. It has a relaxing and cooling affect when applied to the skin.
5 Reasons why you should be using Spearmint Essential oil
- It’s Aroma is uplifting and calming.
- It makes a grate insect repellent, especially against mosquitoes, ants, flies, and moths.
- It’s great for adding to massage oil. It has a cooling affect that feels wonderful on tired muscles.
- It can help relieve stress.
- It promotes fresh breath- when used along with tooth paste or in a tea.