Ooey, gooey, cheesy, Chick fil A Mac and Cheese is definitely a favorite of so many people! It's simply the best comfort food. In 45 short minutes, you'll have a large casserole dish of this fantastic stuff to dive into. We won't tell if you want to eat the whole thing yourself or if you decide to share it with your family. This is one of those gluten free copycat recipes that can't be passed up!
We all know how incredible the waffle fries are at Chick fil A, am I right?! CFA fans love it all though, waffle fries, sweet tea, Arnold Palmers, chicken nuggets, and of course chicken sandwiches. But that mac and cheese, guys, this creamy cheese sauce is so smooth and warm, and the baked cheese on top just sets it apart from any other fast food side choices out there. Trust me, this copycat chick-fil a recipe tastes just like the real thing and is one you'll want to add to your repertoire.
Why you'll love this copycat chick fil a mac and cheese recipe
- Ready in only 45 minutes
- Has a special blend of cheeses to set it apart from any classic macaroni and cheese recipe
- Easy to make this copycat mac n cheese gluten free
- Loved by both kids and adults making thie gluten free mac the best mac and cheese to make
- Perfect to serve at parties and get togethers, everyone will think they're getting the real deal from Chick fil A and you don't have to break the bank paying for it
Dazzle your tastebuds with these simple ingredients, find more info on them in the recipe card below.
- Gluten Free Elbow macaroni
- Whole milk
- American Cheese
- Unsalted buttere
- Mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- White cheddar cheese, shredded
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Grated romano cheese
How to Make Chick Fil A Mac and Cheese Gluten Free Copycat Recipe
- Cook the pasta in heavily salted boiling water following the package instructions.
- Using a colander, strain out the water and transfer the pasta to an oven-safe baking dish. Add about a tablespoon of butter to keep the cooked pasta from sticking together.
- While the pasta boils, make the cheese sauce, in a large saucepan add the milk, American cheese, butter, and salt over medium heat.
- Whisk until all ingredients have fully melted in the saucepan.
- Once the sauce has melted, remove saucepan from the heat and add the other types of cheeses.
- Stir until all the cheese is melted and then let it sit, allowing the sauce to thicken for about 5-7 minutes.
- While the sauce thickens, preheat the oven to 500F or turn on the broiler.
- After the sauce has thickened, pour it over the cooked pasta in the prepared dish.
- Add the additional cup of shredded cheese to the top and place the dish in the oven to melt the cheese on top for about 5-6 minutes.
- Once the cheese is melted on top of the creamy mac, remove the baking dish from the oven, serve and enjoy this perfect side dish!
For best results, leftover homemade mac n cheese should be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-5 days. Always be sure to put your leftover mac and cheese in the fridge because of the perishable ingredients!
Variations and Tips
- This mac n cheese copycat recipe is best with gluten free al dente pasta.
- For the cheese sauce in this delicious mac n cheese, I suggest making your own parmesan romano cheese blend. If you can't, you can use the storebought premade blend but I like this specific mixture in the ingredient list.
- I think using shredded cheese off of the cheese block makes the melted cheese more creamy. Maybe even slightly creamier than the restaurant version!
- It's also important to note that using shredded cheese off of the block will result in more of a stringy cheese texture when you pull it than the pre-shredded stuff you can buy in a bag at the grocery store.
- If serving at a party, you can serve it in a slow cooker on warm to keep it hot longer. Just be careful not to dry it out and stir it when necessary.
What other cheeses can I use?
If you're a cheese-aholic, you can use other different kinds of cheese to make the cheese sauce. Try adding some colby jack cheese or a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese to this simple recipe. Or make a combination of cheeses to create the perfect homemade version.
Can I double this recipe?
Certainly! You can certainly scale this copycat recipe to make more if you need to make more than 6 servings.
Can I make this mac n cheese recipe ahead of time?
I recommend not making this ahead of time as you want the sauce to be nice and hot and creamy. You also want the baked cheese on top to be melty and nice and warm from when you baked it or broiled it. If you do make this ahead of time, cover it, kept it in the refrigerator and then put it back in the oven to warm everything up again. Keep an eye on it so you don't overbake it or burn the cheese on top.
What can I add to it?
If you want to add things to this copycat recipe, you can, but keep in mind that it will no longer be a copycat recipe. This gluten free mac and cheese is a wonderful Chick fil A copycat recipe
More Gluten Free Pasta Recipes
- Pesto Pasta Salad with Pistachios and Mozzarella
- Classic Gluten Free Mac + Cheese
- Gluten Free Lasagna
- Gluten Free Ravioli
Now you can enjoy your Chick fil A favorite with this gluten free copycat version at home!
Chick Fil A Mac and Cheese Gluten Free Copycat
Looking for for a classic re-made gluten free? This Chick Fil A Mac and Cheese Recipe Clone is gluten free and simple to make!
- 8 oz gluten free elbow macaroni
- 1 cup whole milk
- 5 slices American Cheese, chopped or torn
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup mild cheddar cheese, shredded
- ½ cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
- 3 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 1 tablespoon grated romano
- ½ cup mild cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ cup white cheddar cheese, shredded
Cook your gluten free elbow pasta according to the directions, be sure to add extra salt to the water! You can make your cheese sauce while the pasta is boiling if you would like.
Drain pasta, and add to an oven safe dish with 1 tablespoon butter to keep it from sticking, stir.
To make the cheese sauce, add the milk, American cheese, butter, and salt to a sauce pan over medium heat.
Whisk until all ingredients have melted fully.
Remove from heat and add in the other cheeses.
Stir them until they are all melted.
Allow the sauce to sit and thicken for about 5-7 mins.
Preheat the oven to 500°F or turn on your broiler.
After the sauce has thickened pour it over the gluten free elbows in the prepared dish.
Sprinkle the additional shredded cheeses over the top/
Place in the oven to melt the cheese on top for about 5-6 mins.
Remove from the oven and serve!
Shredded cheese off the block will have more of a stringy cheese pull than the pre-shredded cheeses, it will also make it more creamy.
Leave a Reply