Mini Coconut cream pies
Flaky pie crust, rich coconut custard and fluffy whipping cream come together in these mini pies for the perfect dessert.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill gluten free 1 to 1 flour blend
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Brown sugar
- 1 tsp Water
The Coconut Custard
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 cup White Sugar
- 1/2 cup Half n' Half
- 3/4 cup Coconut Milk
- 1 1/2 TBS Cornstarch
- 2 tsp Butter
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/2 cup Sweetened Flaked Coconut
Whip cream and toppings
- 1/2 cup Heavy Whipping cream
- 2 tsp Powdered Sugar
- 1/3 cup Shredded Coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 TBS Maple Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a stand mixer combine the flour, butter, salt, and brown sugar. Mix till it's a sandy consistency and then add the water. Stop the mixer and grab a handful of dough. It should just barely come together when squeezed.
- Divide the dough between two small tart pans and use your fingers to push the dough into shape. Try to make the dough a quarter inch thick throughout. Once shaped prick the dough several times with a fork. Cut parchment to fit inside the tart shells and wight the parchment down with dried beans. Bake for 30 minutes and allow to completely cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together the egg yolks, sugar, half n' half, and coconut milk. Set this aside.
- Place a large skillet on a medium-high burner and add the cornstarch and butter. Allow this to melt together then add the bowl of wet ingredients and whisk till it thickens.
- Add the pinch of salt and flaked coconut. Remove from the burner once the custard is as thick as pudding and allow to cool.
- In a stand mixer whip together the whipping cream and powdered sugar until stiff peaks form. Keep chilled and set aside.
- Combine the coconut flakes and maple syrup and bake in a 350F oven till light golden brown (5-7 minutes). Set aside and allow to cool.
Putting the pies together
- Once the crusts and custard is at room temperature you can begin assembling the pies. divide out the custard between the crusts and using the back of a spoon or pastry blade spread the filling around ans smooth out the top. Then divide the whipping cream between the pies and smooth it out to the edges of the crust. Sprinkle with toasted maple coconut flakes and chill for 20 minutes. The pies are ready to serve once they are chilled.
Keywords: Coconut, Gluten free, Pie