This Cornbread Breakfast Skillet will change the way you cook breakfast for people. Seriously. I hated having people over for breakfast. It sounds nice but you end up spending the whole time in the kitchen stirring, flipping or washing something. You get zero time to visit, unless you want to burn something (RIP perfectly cooked bacon).
This Cornbread Breakfast skillet was created while I was experimenting with different ways to use cornbread, it went through a lot of versions before becoming the one in this post (to the point I had a different blog draft and photos but didn't feel it was ready to publish yet).
This recipe is perfect for your breakfast or brunch get together. You spend maybe 10 minutes in the kitchen and then you let the oven do all the work. You can actually have coffee with your guests while waiting for breakfast to finish cooking. Maybe a Bullet Proof Peppermint Mocha or Caramel Latte?
This Cornbread Breakfast skillet is perfectly balanced and flavorful. In my earlier versions I noticed the Cornbread overpowering the other flavors. So I kicked up the flavor with smoked Gouda and bell pepper and Holy cow did that work. This recipe gives you flavor in every bite. Give it a try and let me know if you have any leftovers 🙂Print
Cornbread Breakfast Skillet
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- 1 cup Cornmeal
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten free flour blend
- ¼ cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Milk
- ½ cup Butter (Softened)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 4 Links Breakfast sausage (Cubed)
- 3 Slices Bacon (Chopped)
- 1 Small Onion (Diced)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 1 Medium Red Pepper (Diced)
- 1 cup Smoked Gouda (Grated)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- In a stand mixer combine all the batter ingredients and beat together. Then stir in the bell pepper and Cheese - Set aside.
- Heat a large Cast Iron pan over Medium heat.
Add the bacon to the pan and saute till it begins to release it's fat, then add the sausage and cook until brown.
- Add in the onions and garlic and saute for 2- 3 minutes.
- Pullout the middle oven shelf and place the Cast Iron pan on it, then carefully scoop the batter into the pan (Its a thick batter so it's best not to pour it in, or you'll be pushing all the goodies to the edges). Press the batter down with the spatula to spread it into the whole pan.
- Bake for 25- 30 minutes, until the cornbread has set and starts to become golden on top.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly before cutting and serving.
Please note that these are Affiliate links. If you decide to purchase using these links I will earn a commission which helps keep this blog running, Thank you!