Ham and Cheese Quesadillas are an easy lunch or snack that I find hugely satisfying and comforting. There is just something about the melted cheese and smokey sweet ham that make everything feel okay.
When I was in the middle my divorce I made these all the time. Money was tight and with a fridge that was a little barren, these were my jam.
Ham and Cheese Quesadillas are super easy to make. If your cheese is pre-shredded or sliced it makes it even easier. It only takes a few minutes to make them and the gooey melted cheese with the sweet and salty ham is to die for.
Why You'll Love These Quesadillas
- It's like combining the comfort of a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with the ease of making a quesadilla.
- The addition of the pepperoncinis adds a little excitement and pop of flavor.
- They have that perfect combo of salt and tang, with a little sweetness from the ham.
- They're easy to make and very affordable since you're just using 4 simple pantry staple ingredients most people already have in their kitchen!
- It's a great way to use leftover ham and decrease your household food waste
Get more info on these simple ingredients for this easy recipe in the recipe card at the bottom.
- soft corn tortillas
- pre-sliced ham-- you can also use
- Shredded cheese - cheddar or Mexican blend (or 4 slices cheddar cheese)
- deli- sliced pepperoncini
How to Make A Ham and Cheese Quesadilla
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium-high heat
- On a cutting board, lay out 1 tortilla. Layer with cheese, a couple slices of ham, pepperoncini's, more cheese, and top with a second tortilla. Repeat for making 2nd quesadilla with the remaining tortillas.
- Place your un-cooked quesadilla in your hot pan and cook until the bottom tortilla starts to turn a golden brown and some of the cheese has melted. Then flip carefully. Once the 2nd side of the tortilla is has browned remove your quesadilla from the pan.
- Repeat with the second quesadilla.
- Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!
Just like a traditional quesadilla, these ham and cheese quesadillas are best served the first day that you make them. They'll be the freshest and have the most flavor then.
However, if you have leftovers, you can place this easy meal in a ziptop bag or an airtight container and you can keep the leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
Reheat in a toaster oven or oven if possible. You can use the microwave but the quesadillas may end up soggy.
Tips and Variations
- Instead of using shredded cheese, you can use 4 slices of cheddar cheese. I like to use shredded cheddar cheese or a shredded Mexican blend that brings another depth of flavor.
- I like using corn tortillas, but you can use flour tortillas if desired.
Do I have to use the pepperoncini?
I fell in love with the little bit of heat and tang the pepperoncinis give. I'm normally not a heat/peppers person but these pepperoncinis make these quesadillas that much better. So don't leave them out. They add a tang and just enough heat to warm your mouth and they pair really well with both the ham and cheese.
If you absolutely hate them, then I guess, leave them off, but if you're willing to go for a little adventure, your taste buds will thank you later if you just leave these bad boys on there!
Where do I find pepperoncini in the grocery store?
Usually, you can find these in a glass jar in the same aisle as you would find pickles in your local grocery store.
What else can I add on?
Use whatever ingredients you have on hand in the pantry. Some fantastic ideas are:
- black beans
- green onions
- sour cream
- pico de gallo or salsa
What kind of ham should I use?
I used deli ham, but you can use leftover ham chunks too if you have those. Whatever ham you enjoy and have enough of, feel free to use.
Honey ham, black forest ham, Virgina ham off the bone, all would be fantastic options.
I cook these up if I'm alone and in a hurry or if I have company and need a little snack. You can't go wrong when they have only 4 ingredients and clean up is a breeze.Print
Easy Ham & Cheese Quesadilla's with Pepperoncini's
- Prep Time: 3 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 8 minutes
- Yield: 1 person 1x
- 4 soft corn tortillas
- 2 slices pre-sliced ham
- ¾ cup Shredded cheese - cheddar or Mexican blend (or 4 slices cheddar cheese)
- ¼ cup deli- sliced pepperoncini (usually found in the same isle as pickles)
- Heat a non-stick pan over med-high heat
- On a cutting board, lay out 1 tortilla. Layer with cheese, ham slice, pepperoncini's, more cheese and top with the another tortilla. Repeat for making 2nd quesadilla.
- Place your un-cooked quesadilla in your hot pan and cook until the bottom tortilla starts to brown and some of the cheese has melted. Then flip carefully. Once the 2nd side of the tortilla is has browned remove your quesadilla from the pan.
- Repeat with 2nd quesadilla
- Allow to cool slightly and enjoy!