Flourless Blood Orange Cake
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 12 1x
- 2 Blood Oranges
- 3 Eggs
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3/4 cup Coconut Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
The Candied Orange topping
- 1 Blood Orange
- 2 cups Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 TBS Orange Juice
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Wash Oranges and place them in a large pot. Cover them with water and bring to a boil. Let them simmer for 15 minutes then drain.
- Add more water the the oranges and repeat- simmer for 15 more minutes then drain.
- After the second round of simmering, coarse chop the oranges and discard any seeds
- In a food processor, puree the oranges until smooth.
- In a stand mixer, cream together the eggs and sugar until they are thick and pale. Add in the orange puree, coconut flour, and baking powder and mix to combine.
- Pour the batter into a greased spring form pan, spreading it out to fill the pan if needed and bake for 45 minutes. Set aside to cool before frosting/glazing.
- Slice orange no larger than 1/8th inches thick.
- Bring water to a boil and boil the orange slices for 1 minute, then immediately scoop them out and place them in an ice water bath to cool.
- In a sauce pan combine the water, sugars, and orange juice and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and add the orange slices. Simmer slices for 45-60 minutes turning them occasionally.
- Once done remove slices from syrup and allow to cool on a drying rack (if you want a less sticky texture dust them with a little more sugar)- Reserve the syrup for the cake.
Bringing it all together
- Place the cake on it's serving dish and poke holes into the top using a toothpick or skewer. Spoon orange syrup onto the top of the cake and decorate with candied oranges. Dust with powdered sugar for an extra pretty cake.