Chocolate wafer cookies are a childhood classic, which is why I just had to create these gluten free chocolate wafers.
Y’all I used to eat these chocolate cookies like crazy as a kid. My mom would have to buy two boxes when she needed them for a recipe because my dad and I would devour one box while she quickly made the dessert that used the other box.
Gluten free Chocolate wafer cookies
They are Chocolatey and crisp and super addictive. I went without them for years after going gluten free. I missed them and all the desserts that can make. There just wasn't a gluten free substitute and I wasn't the greatest gluten free baker in the early years. So I pined away in silence.
My mother used to make this frozen zebra cake with them. She would make a sweet whipped cream concoction and layer it between the cookies and then cover all of it in whipped cream and freeze it. It was like eating frozen cookies and cream. We’ve also crushed them to make a chocolate cookie pie crust or my childhood favorite dirt and worms.
I don’t remember ever doing it but you can also make ice cream sandwiches with these by slathering some ice cream between two cookies. The possibilities are endless with these cookies.
About these gluten free chocolate wafer cookies...
These gluten free chocolate wafer cookies are a little more work than your typical cookie recipe (like these Chocolate Chip Cookies). The dough is really sticky and unless you are using a cookie press to create the cookies shape (which I haven't don't yet because silly me got rid of my cookie press) you’ll want to shape the dough into a log using plastic wrap and chilling it till firm. Once it's firm you can slice it and put it on the cookie sheet, reshaping it if needed.
If the dough warms up too much while your cutting it will become sticky and hard to work with. If this happens simply place the dough back in the fridge to chill for a bit before cutting again.
I was afraid that being gluten free meant I would never get to have these cookies again but gluten free chocolate wafer cookies are easier to make than I expected and they are now a staple in my house.Print
Chocolate Wafer Cookies
Rich chocolate cookies that are perfect for making ice cream sandwiches, cakes, and pie crusts. Or simply with a glass of milk.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 27 minutes
- Yield: 8 Servings (3 cookies each) 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1 ½ sticks Butter ((12 TBS or ¾ cup) Softened)
- ½ cup Brown sugar
- ½ cup White sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1 ¼ cups Bob's red mill 1 to 1 gluten free flour
- ½ cup Cocoa powder- Dutch processed
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- In a stand mixer cream together the butter and sugars. Then add the egg and vanilla and mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine the remaining ingredients and whisk together.
- With the mixer of low, slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. Once the ingredients are combined turn up the mixer and whip for 2 minutes.
- After dough has been whipped scoop it on to a large sheet of plastic wrap and carefully roll into a log, roughly the size you want the cookies. Alternatively you can scoop the dough into a cookie press.
- Chill the dough for at least 1 hour.
- Just before the hour is up preheat the oven to 375F and prep your baking sheets.
- Remove the dough from the fridge. Unwrap from the plastic wrap and slice with a knife or bench scraper into ¼" thick slices.
- Place slices on the baking sheet and reshape if necessary. Repeat until all the cookies have been cut.
- Work quickly. When this dough warms it becomes very sticky and hard to work with. If the dough starts to give you trouble from warming up too quickly simply wrap it in the plastic wrap and let chill in the fridge till workable.
- Bake cookies for 12 minutes and allow to cool slightly before moving to the cooling rack.
- This recipe makes over 2 dozen large cookies. You can make them smaller and have a higher yield or even bake them in one large sheet to break down into crumbs for a pie crust.
- Calories: 297
Keywords: Chocolate, Cookies, Gluten free