A Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich is a wonderful way to use leftovers from Thanksgiving.
I'm still in that phase of life where I have two Thanksgivings. We usually visit and eat with Mr. Everything's family first and then after a small slice of pie make our way to my side of the family's Thanksgiving and do it all over again.
It definitely can feel like a marathon, especially when it comes to eating, but it also means lots of leftovers. We get leftovers x2 and we eat turkey for days.
Other than reheating everything and having another thanksgiving meal, we normally would turn the leftovers into Turkey Tortilla soup, but last year we had so much leftover turkey that I couldn't reasonably put it all in the soup. So we experimented with making sandwiches with the rest of the meat.
Enter the awesomeness that is a Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich...
I almost like this more than thanksgiving itself. I toasted, then buttered the bread with sage compote butter and layered on the turkey, cranberry sauce and some spinach. Before putting it all together I also mixed a little gravy into the mayo and spread it over one side of the bread.
My oh my, this thing has flavor. It becomes something more than thanksgiving leftovers and is amazing in it's own right. The sweetness and the tang from the cranberry sauce, the umami from the turkey and gravy, and the earthiness of the sage all mingle together into what I can only describe as the most amazing thanksgiving bite.
This Thanksgiving Turkey Sandwich uses less than 10 ingredients. Making it simple and fast to whip up.
I prefer it cold but you could also turn it into a warm sandwich. Just butter the bread without toasting it and after assembling the sandwich fry it in a hot pan the way you would a grilled cheese. Once it's golden on both sides you are good to go.
If you truly want to make this sandwich shine make sure you are using my recipe for cranberry sauce!Print
Turkey day Sandwhich
Eating thanksgiving leftovers is always a treat, but now you can enjoy your favorite leftovers in sandwich form.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Main Course, Snack
- Cuisine: American
- 3 TBS Butter (Softened)
- 3 Large Sage leaves (Minced)
- 1 TBS Cold gravy
- 2 tsp Mayonnaise
- 2 Heaping teaspoon Cranberry sauce
- 1 cup Turkey meat
- 4 Slices Gluten free Bread (I love Heritage style form Canyon Bake House )
- 1 cup Spinach
- In a small bowl combine the minced sage and butter, and set aside.
- In another small bowl combine the cold gravy and mayonnaise and set aside.
- Toast the bread till golden brown. While toast it still warm slather the sage butter on both sides of all 4 pieces.
- To assemble the sandwiches take one piece of sage-butter toast and spread the gravy-mayo over it. Then layer half the spinach over it, followed by half the turkey meat. Then take the second piece of sage-butter toast and spread 1 heaping teaspoon of cranberry sauce on one side and place it on top of the turkey meat to complete one sandwich.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients for the second sandwich. Serve immediately.
Keywords: cranberry sauce, Gluten free, gravy, sandwich, Stuffing, Thanksgiving, Turkey