Are you looking for the best gluten free tuna patties around? Look no further, because here they are! These gluten free tuna fish cakes are crispy on the outside and tender and delicious on the inside. The secret ingredient is potato! Read on to find out just how quickly they come together.
Gluten Free Tuna Patties / Gluten Free Tuna Cakes
First of all I never know what to call these. Gluten free tuna patties? Gluten free tuna cakes? Either way, they are a quick and easy meal that is just plain delicious.
These tuna cakes are gluten free but you would never guess that.
The creamy texture inside, paired with the crispy texture outside, makes for a delicious bite every time. Using green onions gives these cakes a nice onion flavor without being overwhelming, so these cakes have balanced flavors.
I like pairing them with some Dijon mustard or some sauerkraut. The bold flavors pair up nicely with the creamy subtleness of the Cakes.
This recipe is a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes or baked potatoes. I'll make extra potatoes for dinner just so I have leftovers to make these. If you don't have any leftover mashed potatoes or baked potatoes that's okay. You can boil and mash some real quick and make this recipe with fresh ones to make these yummy tuna potato cakes.
In canned tuna fish gluten free?
Canned tuna fish is gluten free, as long as it is plain. Always be sure to read the ingredients, some other pre packaged or tuna items may add additional ingredients or flavorings which may introduce gluten.
Canned Tuna used to be a one trick pony for me, all I would make with it was Tuna fish sandwiches (which are amazing and comforting), but I've been really happy with how these Tuna Cakes turned out. It's now a 50-50 if a can of Tuna is destined for sandwiches or these Tuna Cakes.
Pair this with a salad of fresh greens or saute up some cabbage for a full and satisfying meal.Print
Gluten Free Tuna Cakes
Creamy and flavorful gluten free Tuna cakes using leftover potatoes, tuna, and green onions. Perfectly flavored and quick to make.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Main Course, Side Dish, Snack
- Cuisine: American
- 2-3 TBS Avocado oil
- 1 ½ Cups Pre-cook potatoes- Mashed (Leftover Mashed or Baked Potatoes work best)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 large clove Garlic (Minced/pressed)
- 2 Green onions (Chopped)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 Cans Tuna Fish in water (Drained)
Optional serving suggestions
- Green onions
- Dijon mustard
- Tartar sauce
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 TBS of oil.
- While the pan is heating up, thoroughly combine the potatoes, eggs, garlic, and green onions. Add in the salt, pepper, and tuna, and mix till just combined.
- Wet hands and grab a golf ball sized amount of potato mix and form a cake. Place the cake on a plate or piece of parchment paper. Repeat this with all of the potato mix.
- Now that the cakes are formed and the pan is hot place a few cakes on the skillet (don't overcrowd them). Cook for 3-4 minutes, till the bottom is golden brown, then carefully turn over. Cook for another 3-4 minutes and then remove from the skillet.
- Add another TBS of oil to the skillet and cook another round of cakes. repeat until all the cakes are cooked
- Serve immediately with optional sides (I love them with green onion and Dijon mustard).
Keywords: dairy free, Gluten free, Seafood, Tuna Fish
Leave a Reply