Let's talk Lemon essential oil. This citrus is highly recognized and loved by many. The smell is so fresh and exhilarating. It's in a number of products we use everyday, from food to cosmetics and cleaning products. It's high in Limonene . Limonene's name is derived from Lemons do to the high concentration of limonene in it's rind, though limonene is found in other citrus as well. Limonene is the main reason for lemon oil's versatility.
Fun fact; It takes 3,000 lemons to produce 1 kilo of essential oil.
Here's 5 reasons you should use lemon essential oil.
- It can enhance your mood. The scent of lemon oil has been linked to having an uplifting and positive effect on mood when inhaled. Check out one study here.
- It enhances the flavor of foods and water. The Lemon oil from the vitality line is great to add to your water or try it in vanilla cupcakes for a delicious lemony experience.
- Use it in your beauty routine to clean your face and lighten your hair. Because of it's astringent nature lemon essential oil is great from cleaning your skin, improving your complexion and may even shrink your pours. You can also mix a few drops of lemon essential oil with water and mist your hair using a spray bottle before going out in the sun and it can lighten your hair, helping give you natural highlights*.
- It can help reduce morning sickness. Lemon oil may help alleviate morning sickness symptoms. A 2014 study was done on the effects of lemon essential oil and morning sickness symptoms. The study showed statistically significant differences between the control group and the test group just 2 days into treatment.
- It can clean your produce. Gentle but effective, lemon essential oil is a great way to clean your produce to help keep nasty bacteria from hitching a ride. The USDA has been researching the effectiveness of essential oils against pathogens like E.Coli and Salmonella with positive results.
*While lemon essential oil is amazing, take care when using it on your skin before going out in the sun. Lemon (and most citrus oils) can cause sun sensitivity, which amplifies the suns effect and cause you to burn sooner than you normally would. If I'm going to use any oil that may cause sun sensitivity I try to apply it in the evening or cover the skin as much as I can before going out.
I am not a health care provider and I am not giving out medical advice. Please see my Terms and Conditions page for more information.
For more on Essential oils please check out my Essential oils page.