Have you heard of the mermaid hair spray craze? If not welcome! Mermaid hair spray is a great alternative to whatever it is we're used to spraying in our hair. No chemicals, only delightful scents and ways to make our hair better.
It seems like everyone theses days is obsessed with mermaids and a lot of popular fads are happening because of it. Mermaid hair is one of them.
Mermaid hair can have more than one meaning, one is dying your hair wild colors (usually blue/green or red/purple). The other is having beautiful (usually long) wavy beach hair.
You should see a professional stylist for the first, but Essential oils can help you with the second one.
Mermaid Hair Essential Oils
This mermaid hair spray recipe recipe has 5 ingredients that help your hair grow and keep your scalp healthy.
Cedarwood, Rosemary, and Lavender all have different properties to help support healthy hair growth, while Lemon combats grease buildup and dandruff, and can also help naturally bleach your hair due to it's photosensitivity properties (just make sure you are spraying your hair and not your scalp if you intend to be in the sun within 12 hours of using).
Witch Hazel is the final ingredient and is awesome for your hair. It's a natural astringent so it helps cut down on grease, is anti-dandruff, can tame frizz and even add volume.
When these are combined and applied to your hair it helps support strong, healthy hair growth, and can help you achieve that desirable beach wave mermaid hair.
There are a LOT of recipes out there for mermaid hair spray. I use half the oils that most people call for. We definitely don't want too much oil in our mermaid hair.
30 drops of EACH oil sounded a bit excessive especially when your just starting out. So I halved it and ask for 15 drops of each oil, I still get awesome results and it also allows me to spray my hair a few more times.
How to Use Mermaid Spray
How to use mermaid spray really depends on the type of hair you have, so a good rule of thumb is to start with 2-3 pumps.
Sometimes 2-3 pumps don't give me enough coverage so I'll spray my hole head 6-8 times total (on damp hair) and massage it in (I have thick hair). You can let your hair air dry or style as usual after applying.
This is an all around great hair mist with essential oils, and of course, you can change it around to suit your needs.
* Caution- If you are pregnant or epileptic you should avoid using Rosemary oil. You can either omit it or substitute another oil (like Chamomile) for it. Also be careful of Lemons photosensitive nature, if you want apply this on your scalp before sun exposure make sure to cover up or omit the lemon oil to make sure you don't burn*Print
Mermaid Hair Spray
- 15 Drops Rosemary Essential oil
- 15 Drops Lavender Essential oil
- 15 Drops Cedarwood Essential oil
- 10 Drops Lemon Essential oil
- Witch Hazel
- 1 2 oz Misting bottle
- Create the synergy of oils by combining the drops of oil in the misting bottle. Swirl to mix and leave overnight before topping off the bottle with Witch Hazel.
- Give the bottle a gentle shake before each use.
- Can be applied to damp or dry hair. For best results mist into damp hair, massage into hair and scalp and style as usual.