Queso Fundido with Chorizo is a melted cheese appetizer that's packed with flavor. This classic Mexican appetizer is one of my favorites to order when out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant. Oozing with deliciousness, spiciness, and super cheesy. Queso Fundido is a wonderful appetizer or snack to share with friends and family.
If you're looking for a tasty dip to enjoy with your tacos and Mexican Street Corn Salad then grab your tortilla chips because you're in for a delicious cheese dip recipe.
Why you'll love this Queso Fundido con Chorizo recipe
- Ready in under a half hour
- Perfect snack, appetizer, or side dish
- Just what every Mexican food lover needs
- If you love spicy chorizo, you'll love this!
- Garlic cloves
- White Onion
- Bell pepper
- Shredded Oaxaca Cheese
- Green onion
- Tortilla Chips
How to Make Queso Fundido con Chorizo
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Heat an oven-safe small skillet, like a cast iron skillet, over medium heat and add the Chorizo. Break into smaller pieces and allow to brown.
- Drain the excess fat from the pan and add the onions, garlic, and peppers. Cook until soft.
- Cover the cooked chorizo, peppers, onion, and garlic with shredded cheese with aluminum foil and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 6-8 minutes and then switch the oven to broil and broil for 2 minutes (until the cheese is golden and bubbly).
- Remove from oven, add green onions on top of the cheese and serve with a crispy tortilla chip basket while still hot.
Leftover chorizo queso fundido should be stored in an airtight container or in a covered small bowl in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
I suggest reheating this in the oven on warm and stirring the cheese and chorizo mixture up well before serving again. You can also microwave leftovers, if needed
Variations and Tips
- You can use any type of chorizo. We used spicy Mexican chorizo and had to cook it, if you want cooked chorizo that's ready to use, try Spanish chorizo.
- Feel free to top this Queso Fundido with fresh cilantro.
- You can add some fresh pico de gallo or roasted salsa for even more flavor.
- Want more heat in your chorizo queso? Add a small can of green chilis.
- Feel free to add a pinch of salt to really enhance all of the flavors of this cheesy dip.
What is Shredded Oaxaca Cheese?
This shredded cheese is similar to mozzarella cheese. It's creamy with a light flavor and it's a great cheese for quesadillas, dips, and adding as a topping to tacos, fajitas, and other dishes.
What if I can't find Oaxaca Cheese?
If you can't find this cheese in your regular grocery store, try visiting one of your local Latin grocery stores. If all else fails and you can't find any queso oaxaca, you can use Monterey jack cheese for a similar taste and consistency. It's also thick and flavorful and makes a great queso to mix with the Spanish chorizo.
What to Serve This Queso Fundido with Chorizo With
- On top of some breakfast tacos in warm flour tortillas or corn tortillas
- With some pork tacos inside warm tortillas
- With chips and salsa
- On top of tater tot nachos
- On regular nachos with avocado sauce
If you've ever considered making your own homemade Queso Fundido con Chorizo, this is your easy melty cheese recipe to give a try. It's absolutely delicious and as you can see, super simple to make.Print
Queso Fundido with Chorizo
Flavorful, spicy and super cheesy. Queso Fundido is a wonderful appetizer or snack to share with friends.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Appetizer, Side Dish, Snack
- Cuisine: Mexican
- ½ lb chorizo
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- ½ Onion (Diced)
- 1 Small Bell Pepper (Diced)
- 10 oz Oaxaca Cheese (or Monterey Jack) (Shredded)
- 2 Green onions (Diced)
- Tortilla Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Heat a small oven safe skillet over medium heat and add the Chorizo. Break into smaller pieces and allow to brown.
- Drain the fat from the pan and add the onions, garlic, and peppers. Cook until soft.
- Cover the meat and veg with shredded cheese and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 6-8 minutes and then switch the oven to broil and broil for 2 minutes (until the cheese is golden and bubbly).
- Remove from oven, top with green onions and serve with chips while still hot.