Roasted Pepper and Potato soup is a hearty soup that uses less than 10 ingredients to create something that’s super satifying.
This recipe is a variation on a soup my cousin made a few years ago. We were visiting a few days before her wedding so we could help set things up. She had made a giant crockpot worth of soup to sustain all of us for lunch one day. I remember it was peppery and had turmeric in it. I loved that soup and have been recreating it ever since.
Neither of us could remember the recipe she used that day (because I did ask her about it as I got a second helping), so I’ve just been following my taste buds, and this is the final result.
Roasting the peppers and a couple of tomatoes is an important step of the recipe so don’t skip it. It allows the peppers and tomatoes to caramelize and develop more flavor, which brings out thier sweetness. It’s super easy to do and you can make them ahead of time and keep them in your fridge till you’re ready to make the soup.
I was able to use a mix of sweet Italian roasting peppers and bell peppers from the garden. If you can’t get your hands on sweet roasting peppers you can use yellow, orange, or red bell peppers.
How is it creamy without any dairy?
This recipe is creamy without any dairy! I use my emultion blender to make everything all creamy and smooth but you can use a blender or food processor to blend everything together as well. You’ll just have to do it in batches to make sure you get everything. It makes this soup velvety smooth and creamy.
This is a wonderful soup for making on a Sunday afternoon and meal prepping it for the rest of the week. Its a verstial soup that’s great on its own or paired with toppings to change up the flavor. That way you’ll never get bored of it during the week.
You could also make this recipe in the crockpot and bring it to a party. It’s a great option for those on diets or have allergy restrictions. It’s naturally gluten free, dairy free, vegan and paleo friendly. Everyone will love your Pepper and Potato soup.Print
Roasted Pepper and Potato Soup
Sweet roasted peppers blended together with potato and spice to create a healthy and hearty soup.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 55 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Main Course, Side Dish, Soup
- Cuisine: American
- 2 TBS Oil (Avocado or Olive)
- 3 Sweet peppers- Orange and Red Bell pepper work nicely. (Sliced)
- 2 Tomatoes (Sliced)
- 1 Onion (Diced)
- 4 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 8 cup Stock (Mushroom or Vegetable for vegan, otherwise Chicken will work)
- 3 med Yukon gold potatoes (Diced)
- 2 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 300F.
- Toss the bell pepper and tomato slices with 1 TBS oil. Then lay them out on a baking sheet and roast for 1 hour.
- 10 minutes before the roasting is done place an enameled Dutch oven on a med-high burner.
- Add remaining oil, onions and garlic. Sautéing until soft.
- Add the potatoes, stock, and roasted peppers and tomatoes. Cover and cook for 40 minutes until everything is soft.
- Take an emulsion blender and puree into a creamy soup. Alternatively you can blend in batches in a blender or food processor and return to the cooking pot.
- Once the soup is pureed mix in the spices and serve.
The soup can be eaten as is or dressed up with toppings and add-ins for a more filling soup. Optional add-ins are;
- Toasted Pumpkin Seeds
- Cooked meat (like chicken or ground beef)
- Sautéed or roasted vegetables and mushrooms
- Shredded cheese.
Keywords: dairy free, Gluten free, Paleo, Pepper, Potato, Roasted, Soup, Vegan