Slow cooker Tuscan Chicken soup has earned a place in my heart this winter. It's really easy to make and is full of all the flavors I love.
I've taken up learning Italian and I got a thick Italian cookbook for my birthday, so Italy has been on my mind lately. I'll confess right here and now that this recipe isn't really Tuscan or Italian, it's just what I started calling it when 'Italian flavored chicken soup' didn't roll off the tongue.
I created this slow cooker chicken soup while I was day dreamy and raiding the pantry. I wanted artichokes, and beans, and green olives and Parmesan to all come together in a soup. So I let my imagination go wild.
That first soup was good but it needed more so I tweaked it a bit and added more veggies for good measure. The resulting soup has been made several times already this winter and I'm sure I'll make it again before spring hits.
Lets talk about veggies
A word on produce...My grocery stores have been flip flopping with the quality of there greens. So I've used both kale and collard greens with this recipe, just depending on what I had on hand. Both are great and pretty interchangeable so use whichever you prefer.
When it comes to olives I'm not a huge fan, but green olives have been growing on me lately. They aren't as in your face as black olives. They are softer and have a buttery flavor and texture. So far this is my favorite application for them. I love the flavor that they bring to the soup.
For this slow cooker chicken soup to really shine use my slow cooker recipe to make the stock. It gives so much flavor and depth, and is totally worth it. I make it almost weekly once the weather turns cold.Print
Slow cooker Tuscan Chicken soup
This Tuscan chicken soup is full of vegetables and Italian flavor. It's super easy to throw together after a busy day.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 minutes
- Yield: 8 1x
- Category: Main Course, Soup
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- 1 TBS Olive oil
- 2 Chicken breasts (Cubed)
- 1 Small Onion (Diced)
- 6 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- ½ 6 oz can Green Olives (quartered)
- 2 15.5 oz cans Cannellini beans (Drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup Marinated artichoke hearts (Chopped)
- 1 TBS Marinade from artichoke hearts
- 2 cups Collard greens or Kale (Chopped)
- 2 Celery stalks (Diced)
- 2 Carrots (Peeled and diced)
- 2 tsp Dried Rosemary (Crushed)
- 1 tsp Mushroom Powder
- ½ tsp Ground Sage
- 1 pinch Chili flakes
- 12 cups Chicken stock
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese (Grated)
- ½ Bunch Italian Parsley (Minced)
- Set up a slow cooker and turn on to high.
- Place a large non-stick skillet over a med-high burner. Once hot add in half the olive oil and half the chicken. Let this brown on all sides then dump into the slow cooker and repeat with remaining oil and chicken.
- Now dump everything else in the slow cooker (except the toppings). Put the lid on it and cook on high for 1 ½ to 2 hours, till it's hot and bubbly. Serve with Parmesan cheese and Italian parsley.
You can skip the step of sauteing the chicken but it won't have the same depth of flavor, just make sure the chicken is fully cooked (165F internal temp) before serving. Alternatively you can cook the whole chicken breasts in there, cooking for 3 hours, and then shred them before serving.
- Calories: 497
Keywords: Chicken, dairy free, Easy, Gluten free, Italian, Soup