Hello Smashed Potatoes!
I love every way to make and eat potatoes. Mashed, boiled, baked, turned into a salad, or used to make fillings, etc. They are definitely my favorite starch.
These smashed potatoes are my current favorite way to eat them. They turn out soft and moist on the inside and caramelized and crunchy on the outside. In this post I share the basic recipe where they're only seasoned with some salt and pepper. But you can go crazy with flavoring these potatoes.
The first time I every had them was at a Scandinavian restaurant for brunch and they served them with marjoram infused butter. Oh my god, I am not exaggerating when I say I moaned in pleasure at every single bite. Mr. Everything found it very amusing, but thankfully it wasn't anything like the scene in 'when Harry met Sally' so I didn't get gawked at.
These smashed potatoes are the only reason I buy baby potatoes. They are so easy to boil soft, smash, season, and bake. I've made them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I've even turned them into potato nachos before. Seriously these potatoes are amazing and versatile. You have to give them a try.
In the recipe I call for oil and it's the perfect time to use one of my flavored oils, choose between Garlic, Onion, and Scallion oil , and you can't go wrong.Print
Perfectly Smashed Potatoes
Crunchy on the outside, creamy on the inside.. These smashed potatoes are worth every effort to make.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Side Dish, Snack
- Cuisine: American
- 1 lbs Baby potatoes
- 1 to 2 TBS Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Add potatoes to a large pot and fill with water till the potatoes are covered and water is about ½ above the potatoes. Place this on a medium-high burner and allow to boil. After 15-20 minutes the potatoes should be soft enough to pierce with a fork. Remove them from the heat and drain out the water.
- Preheat the oven to 450F
- Get out a large baking sheet and place a few potatoes on it in a row. Take a drinking glass and press down on one of the potatoes, smashing it. Repeat this with all the potatoes.
- Once all the potatoes are smashed, drizzle them with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Bake the potatoes for 20-25 minutes until crispy and golden on the outside. Serve immediately as is or with your favorite toppings.
Keywords: Gluten free, Potato
Leave a Reply