Snicker-doodle cookies were one of my favorite cookies growing up. While I don’t have any memories of making them at home, like I do with chocolate chip cookies, I remember eating them and requesting them whenever possible. My mother can confirm my obsession with them.
The simple combination of cinnamon and sugar is addictive and satisfying. The cinnamon is warm and spicy and the sugar perks up your taste buds with it’s sweetness. I make a double batch of these once or twice a year and store most of them in a freezer bag, that way I can take out a cookie whenever to mood strikes.
Using less than 10 ingredients, these cookies are simple to make, and they store well in the fridge or freezer. I like mine still frozen with a glass of milk, but you can also heat them up to get them soft again.
I have a fondness for frozen cookies because growing up, my elderly neighbor Bill, kept cookies in his freezer and would give me one whenever I would visit. They were the best cookies ever and I would tell my mother all about them. When Bill and his wife moved away he told my mother the secret of the frozen cookies. They were the cheap cookies from the bakery section of our local grocery store and he froze them so they would last longer.
We tried getting the same cookies and freezing them, but alas, they were not Bill’s cookies and it just wasn’t the same. But my love of frozen cookies has remained and I love stashing some in the freezer for the right occasion, when nostalgia strikes.
Can we all agree that along with how easy they are to make and how tasty they are, it’s just fun to say Snicker-doodle?Print
Comforting cinnamon and sugar dusted cookies fill the craving for childhood nostalgia.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 12 cookies 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: American
- 1/2 cup Butter (Softened)
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Bob’s red mill gluten free 1 to 1 flour blend
- 1/2 cup Cornstarch
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1 TBS Cinnamon
- In a stand mixer cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Once this is combined then add in the egg and mix.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, and baking powder.
- Set the mixer to low and slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet.
- Dump the dough out onto a cling wrapped lined surface and carefully shape into a log that’s about 2 inch tall. Cover with the cling wrap and chill for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- Combine the sugar and the cinnamon and place into a shaker (or set aside).
- Removed the chilled dough. Cut into 1/2 inch slices and place on a greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle liberally with cinnamon and sugar.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until the cookies have set. Remove from the oven and cool slightly before attempting to move them to a cooling rack.
- Serve once cool to handle.
- Calories: 269
Keywords: Cookies, Gluten free