Mmmmm, Broccoli Cheese Soup is the BOMB.
It’s one of my favorite soups, right up there with Coconut Stew and Clam Chowder. Soup is normally not on the menu when you’re gluten free. Restaurants rely heavily on flour to thicken their soups leaving us staring at the salad options (and even that can be a gluten trap). I have only ever found one restaurant that has a gluten free broccoli cheese soup…but half the time the staff still puts gluten croutons on top. Ugh.
This recipe was born out of a Broccoli Cheese craving and I have perfected it over the years. It uses a similar process to when I make Clam Chowder. I puree the first part of the soup (which contains potatoes) to create that thick, fulfilling texture you want….I just realized I don’t have a Clam Chowder recipe on here anymore… guess I’ll put it on the to do list.
Anyway, once the first part of the soup is thick and smooth, you can add everything you want to be chunky, like the broccoli florets.
What do you do with Broccoli stems? I have never seen a recipe that uses them. I used to feel like they were a huge waste when I bought broccoli. Well, I experimented and found I like them roasted or, like in this recipe, I like cooking them until soft and then pureeing them into a creamy soup. I peel the stems to help remove any tough or woody spots and then cook them with potatoes in the first step of making this soup. When they are pureed they help boost that broccoli flavor and probably make it a bit healthier, because you know, you’re eating more vegetables.
Here you go, make, eat, repeat.Print
The Best Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 Medium Heads of Broccoli- Florets and Stems separated (Stems peeled and diced small, Florets cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 Small Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 3 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
- 2 TBS Avocado or Coconut oil
- 3 Medium Russet Potatoes (Peeled and diced small)
- 32 oz Chicken or Vegetable stock (or 4 cups homemade stock)
- 2 cups Water
- 1 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Shredded sharp cheddar
- Shredded cheese
- Green onions
- Toasted sunflower seeds
- Put your soup pot on a medium-high burner. Add your oil, onions, and garlic. Saute until they are soft.
- Add potatoes, broccoli stems, stock and water. Cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, until the stems and potatoes are soft.
- Using an emulsion blender blend everything until smooth. Alternatively you can blend the soup in a normal blender or food-processor in batches and return it to the soup pot once everything is smooth.
- Stir in your spices, cream, mustard, and broccoli florets. Replace the lid and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese and stir until it’s melted and fully incorporated.
- Serve hot with your choice of toppings.